Monday, April 5, 2010

Second Life, or the Sims gone boring

For my SB2K10, I journeyed to the cyber land of Second Life. Just kidding, this is not all that I did for spring break. However, Second life did supply me with entertainment for the last week. For those that are have not been on Second Life Experience before- it is a program very similar to the Sims. Basically you create a virtual person and then have the ability to create a life for him/her on Second Life Island.

My virtual life began with the naming of my avatar. Then, the program pairs unique last names with the avatar’s first name. My character was thus named Sheila Crazyboi. Sheila has gone through some pretty interesting experiences. She has been teleporting, getting stuck between virtual rocks, shopping, and chatting with fellow Second Lifers all week.

The orientation of the program was definitely more confusing than necessary. In order to learn the first six steps of how to use Second Life, you have to maneuver your character through a maze, and at six points along the way there are short videos or billboards giving instructions on how to make Sheila fly, flirt, buy clothing, and spend her L$ (all the necessities, obviously). The most comedic orientation step was the final step, when a man with an intense Jamaican accent and extremely excited voice came on to talk to Sheila about where to get the best outfits in Second Life, including a small dog as an accessory.

Second life has the potential to be an interactive online community, similar to WOW or other gaming sites. However, certain aspects of it are hard to understand for a newcomer. For me, it was hard to become engaged in the program because it was not very intuitive. For instance, teleporting or flying to various places on a large map was confusing and pretty unexciting. I also think that since there is not one main goal or incentive, people just walk around aimlessly, and creepily “friending” other random alter egos.

Speaking of friends, another issue that I had with becoming part of the program was that people wanted to talk to you- not just instant message chat, but actually hear your voice. Second Life does not ready you for this experience, and the program did not even make me aware that someone was talking to me- only a tiny green circle popped on at the bottom of my screen. Hearing a complete stranger ask me if my voice was a male or female, because she “couldn’t tell”, was definitely not a comforting aspect of Second Life.

Thus far, my most memorable experience on Second Life is a tie between hanging out in a large store with blaring music and pretty risqué clothing choices that appeared on Sheila after clicking on a large box entitled “women’s party outfit” and chatting it up in Spanish with another Second Life citizen who walked over and asked me, “¿Estas soltera? ¿tienes novia? ¿esposa?” Besides for these adventures, the journey through Second Life has been pretty dull.

Another detrimental factor of this virtual world is that, to me, the only worthwhile thing to do would be to build a house, and to make a life for your avatar on the program. If you don’t create a house, there is really not much else that engages the user to stay on Second Life.

Unfortunately, building a house, and the majority of activities on the site require L$ (the Second Life currency, obviously). This would not be a problem if L$ was distributed like Monopoly money- everyone gets a set amount at the beginning of the game. This, however, is not the case. In order to get L$, you must pay the equivalent currency rate in US dollars, the lowest amount I found costs around $2.50. I was not willing to pay money, so my activity options were very limited on the site.

After a week of Second Lifing with Sheila, I think that the site definitely has potential, however the cost of playing and the lack of goal oriented tasks makes it less exciting for me. Although maybe the graphics are more updated than The Sims, I think that the Sims software definitely has a better way of engaging its users in a similar setting.

6 comments:

  1. I had never heard of Second Life until this post. After reading, it seems a lot like SIMS. However, not as interesting. I feel like the target market for Second Life is people who enjoy online gaming, or are not very sociable. I would not pay to increase my activity options on Second Life either. At least with SIMS there is a goal, you make money, build houses, etc. I agree that there does not seem like a goal or point to Second Life, other than just giving people something to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it pretty interesting that Second Life simulates a maze for new players in order to get acquainted with the new game. It seems to me that the trial users of World of Warcraft could have used a similar orientation. It gives the game much more utility, instead of spending days discovering how to maneuver the site, like some of our poor classmates had to do on WOW. Though I've never played Second Life (and I was never really into Sims either) these virtual tasks seems pretty practical - video games should take note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something I find interesting about Jackie's Second Life Experience is the juxtaposition between the reality of the game and the fantasy aspects. The fact that Sheila can fly and is forced to manuever mazes stands in contrast to more "normal" and "real life" activities like shopping or socializing with others. I have never really been hip with the avatar-centered experiences like Second Life or SIMS, but it sort of seems like Second Life can't figure out what it wants to be - as though it's flirting the land between video game fantasy and virtual world.

    Another thing I found interesting is Jackie's complaint about the lack of goal-oriented tasks. This, in conjunction with the fact that participants must pay money in order to have any real "success" in the land-o-Second Life makes the Web site seem more like an online friend-finding or dating service than a virtual experience. Without goals or conquests, it seems more like an animated Facebook. This raises a similar issue as we discussed about the MMORPGs. If participants have to pay to "make friends" is this a positive online community? Secondly, the confusing orientations/cost create barriers of entry for casual users such as my classmates.

    I would be interested to know more about the typical user (Choices III style, if you will) of Second Life. If it is a man/woman, how much time he/she spends on the site, how much $$ he/she is willing to dole out and so on. I also would like to know how many Second Life friendships spawned real life meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I would definitely want to learn more about the user. I think it would help address Jackie's confusion and frustration about there being a lack of goals.

    Compared to WOW, Second Life seems more a chat room, the difference is you are an avatar. It seems it could be a world for people unhappy with their own lives, who want an alter-ego or socially awkward individuals, who are more comfortable talking to people online. Whoever they are, it's interesting they all want to talk through headsets. Again this shows the site is more about interaction than having tasks to fulfill like WOW.

    But I feel knowing more about the general player and what they are like would put the game in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be interested to do a Choices III style search on the target market of Second Life too. Although I imagine we'd find a large array of people. SL could be utilized by younger children (unless there is an age barrier), older people with down time, stay at home moms, people on/with disabilities who need something to do, etc.

    I don't think it's weird that you have to pay US dollars to gain L$. Since the game is free, that is SL's way of making money. Instead of paying for the game, xbox, controller, etc. You just pay for things inside the Web site.

    However, I have heard that you can buy things online for your Second Life world. For example, you can buy a Second Life House on Ebay with U.S. dollars. So, in actuality, you are buying virtual realestate on Ebay. That I do not understand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I read your article I believe more and more than Second Life is very different from MMORPG games on the fact that is not focus on gaming but on creating a community and express yourself in a virtual freedom world. For me it’s the only goal of this game. Unfortunately I think it is pointless to create communities in this kind of game.

    Benoit Clavé

    ReplyDelete